Job Duties and Responsibilities
As a Field Engineer, you’ll be out in the field keeping our facilities and equipment in top form by maintaining multiple locations in your assigned area. You will be responsible for post construction checks, Single Site verification, commissioning, site acceptance, testing and maintaining cell sites and edge and local data center installations. Regular maintenance, keeping inventories, doing audits. You will also be evaluating our network coverage and finding ways to make it even better.
Activities to be Performed-
- FE will support and deploy as needed a CU-CP and CU-UP Network Function using VMWare Telco Cloud Automation Platform. They will run test and troubleshoot if remote config file push fails.
- FE will support and deploy as needed a DU Network Function using VMWare Telco Cloud Automation Platform. They will run test and troubleshoot if remote config file push fails.
- FE will be responsible to configure the CSR at the site.
- FE will be responsible for cabinet inspection to ensure there is no post-construction issue on the site.
- FE will validate the breaker placement, GPS cable is connected, and backhaul fiber is connected.
- Verify power and other site configuration and validate the GC COP to ensure site is ready for commissioning.
- Verify antenna positions to confirm azimuth and abnormal tilts, color placements etc.
- FE will be responsible for single site verification to ensure there is no VSWR/ PIM/ RET/ swap issue using EXFO tool.
- FE will ensure fiber connection are configured correctly at the site and at the LDC. Also, test it using the EXFO, OTDR, Fiberscope tool.
- Verify for any faulty radios through manual checks, EXFO and once site is configured on EMS.
- FE will work closely with the microwave and transport expert in the market to triage and troubleshoot the problems during integration, commissioning and post launch as needed.
- FE will be responsible for all site maintenance/ network alarm solution and fix.
- FE will be working closely with RF and construction war room team to triage and troubleshoot any network functionality issues during construction, post construction and commissioning phase of work.
Skills, Experience and Requirements
- At least 3-5 years current experience in a telecommunications role with direct experience with RAN, 4G LTE cell site troubleshooting and testing experience.
- Familiar with testing protocols to include transport, RF, and full base-station turn-up, commissioning, and validation testing
- Experience troubleshooting antenna systems from transmitter to antenna using tools like a spectrum analyzer.
- Performing optimization, troubleshooting, and maintenance of base station equipment, radio transmitters, and Fiber network gear and test equipment
- Testing the fiber network and integrating network hardware to bring new products on-air and improve customer experience
- Evaluating network coverage to find gaps, making recommendations to improve coverage, and helping to implement those recommendations
- Expertise in PIM/VSWR/MIMO/RET including knowledge of fiber and LTE remote radio heads
- Experience with Lucent, Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, or Ericsson, base station equipment with LTE or CDMA technology. • Telecom experience such as T1, DACS, or OMP
- Experience with dark and lit fiber testing using equipment such as OTDR, fiberscope
- Electronics training in telecommunications, two-way radio, paging, or microwave radio
- Computer support experience, including troubleshooting PC hardware and configurations
- Experience with DC power distribution systems such as Galaxy, Alpha or Lorain.
- Training in data communications, digital communications, operating systems and applications, computer support, scripting, and project management preferred
- Travel required – Up to 75%
- Ability to read technical drawings such as as-builts, construction drawings, and MOP’s
- Ability to stand for long periods of time on ladders, lift over 70 lbs. at times, crawl into small spaces, work in all climates and remain within the individual weight requirement of 335 lbs
- Bending, lifting, climbing a ladder and working on a roof or in tight places may be required
Expected Education and Experience
- A technical degree in Electronics or Telecommunications or a combination of military and industry experience will be considered