If you have ambitions to be a part of a Best in Class organization, Samsung’s Wireless Networks Business team is the place to be. The role of the Wireless Networks Team is to support our carrier customers through innovative technology. The dynamic culture at Samsung offers both great challenge and great reward. If you want to work among the very best talent in the industry, working on the most innovative products in the world, Samsung is the place to be.
We are looking for a Virtualization Platform & Orchestration Engineer to join our Wireless Networks team. You will be a key contributor on a multi-functional team of R&D, systems engineering, product validation and product support as we introduce Samsung products to Wireless Carriers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Installation and Commissioning - Work on a team of engineers providing installation support (lab and production) for the Samsung NFV Platform and Orchestration solutions, including:
o Installation, commissioning and configuration of virtualized environment. This includes BIOS configuration, Linux Operating System installations and configuration, network scripts, etc.
o KVM, numa, grub configuration
o Installation of Openstack platform, and configuration of the same
o Installation, configuration and maintenance of Kubernetes-based CaaS environments, including Redhat Openshift, VMware TKG/TCA and Windriver Titanium, as well as the community version of Kubernetes
o Working within the Kubernetes environment (use of Helm, kubectl commands, etc)
o Installation, configuration and maintenance of CNCF PaaS toolsets, such as Prometheus, Jaeger, Grafana, Kiali, etc
• Test Engineering – Create test cases, test plans and execute test plans for Samsung Orchestration solutions in Samsung Lab as well as in customer labs. Document test results. This includes feature testing, performance testing and inter-operability testing.
• Tier2/3 Support – Work in a team environment, to troubleshoot commercial Virtualization and Orchestration application issues, propose workarounds, and work with R&D to provide the RCA (Root Cause Analysis) to the customer. This sometimes involves 24x7 support.
• Works closely with various support organizations and cross-functional teams from SEA and Samsung R&D to achieve successful new product roll-outs and developments.
• Ensure that customer commitments are achieved according to plan.
• Ability to travel sporadically during the project.
• Key contributor in driving the technical solutions to customer through complex organizational dynamics
• Ability to quickly learn and adapt to fast-changing technology
• Ability to follow complex procedures accurately and thoroughly
• Leveraging your ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, including our R&D, as well as Samsung vendors and customers.
Excellence Dealing with Ambiguity
• Bringing your experience in problem solving and ability to navigate complex organizations with pivotal shifts
• Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a professional and highly technical environment with a distinct exposure to virtualization technology
• Bachelor’s degree in EE/CS/TE is required. Master’s degree is beneficial.
• Experience and comfort working in a Linux environment, including scripting and command-line proficiency
• Experience working with various virtualization technologies, such as Openstack and Kubernetes. Knowledge of cloud-native concepts preferred.
• Experience working with commercial cloud hyperscalers
• Thorough understanding of virtualization technologies such as CPU pinning, NUMA, guest isolation in multi-tenant scenarios, and SRIOV
• Understanding of ETSI MANO Reference Architecture and the functions of the various components described therein
• Knowledge of wireless network technologies, including RAN, Core and Transport
• Knowledge of various software engineering concepts, such as message queues, multi-threading, algorithms, interfaces, inter-process communication, security, and relational databases
• Understanding of networking concepts, such as TCP/IP, VLAN, sockets, IPv4/6, NAT, routing and interface snooping. Experience with switch configuration preferred.
• Knowledge of various compute resource aspects: CPU, memory and disk and assessing the performance of each
• Knowledge of DevOps concepts, and CI/CD.
• Must have troubleshooting experience using command-line tools and scripting tools, such as shell, Python, etc.
Work is generally performed in an office environment. Operate a computer keyboard and view a video display terminal between more than 50% of work time, including prolonged periods of time. Requires considerable work utilizing high visual acuity / detail, numeric / character distinction and moderate hand / finger dexterity. The movement and transportation of equipment, most of the time is under 25 pounds. Performs work under time schedules and stress which are normally periodic or cyclical, including time sensitive deadlines, intellectual challenges and project management deadlines. Machines, tools, equipment, and work aids include PC’s, printers, copiers, faxes and other equipment commonly associated with an office work area. May require working additional hours beyond normal schedule. Travel varies depending on position. Consistently demonstrates a commitment to policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest and ethical responsibilities.
Samsung Electronics America, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce, and provides Equal Employment Opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.